If you want to read lengthy, drawn-out reviews of the movies in theaters now (or soon to be) then this isn't the blog you should be reading. Most of the posts from The Other Critic are short, sweet and to the point; that's how we roll here.

We also don't just focus on current movies. Let's face it, there are plenty of good movies that have been made, and sometimes viewers have a tendency to forget that there is more to life than movies in the theaters.

With all that said, please enjoy the short and concise, and sometimes opinionated reviews. If you don't like them, that's okay—we won't hold it against you.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince


Okay, this review comes to us from the newest member of Reviews From the Other Critic—Mr. Ian Parker. To read the synopsis of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, click here. To view the trailer, click here. Now, on with the review.

--

Up until recently, I would not have classified myself as a Harry Potter "fan." I only recently read the books at the insistence of my wife, who has been a long-time member of the so-called wizarding community. "The Half-blood Prince" ended up being my favorite book so, needless to say, I was pretty excited for the movie. I'm very happy to say that I was absolutely thrilled with the result. The film was exciting, funny, heart-breaking, and (for lack of a better word) magical. Die-hard fans may balk at the few changes from the original text, but the name of the game in films made from books is adaptation not duplication. The feeling of the book was preserved without resorting to using it as the script. Director David Yates shows superlative skill in using montage to further plot. Sub-texts are moved along visually, so the dialogue stays free to develop the characters. Yates keeps the camera closer to the actors than in previous Potter films, allowing one to be more intimately involved with what they are feeling. The viewer feels as though they are involved in the events of the film, rather than watching from a distance. The characterizations are also closer to the source material than in the other films. As always, the actors portraying side characters are wonderful. Jim Broadbent as Horace Slughorn, and Jessie Cave as Lavender Brown nearly steal the show. I would definitely say this has been my favorite movie of the summer. "Half-blood Prince" definately warrants multiple viewings; I've already seen it twice, and I will snap it up as soon as it becomes available on DVD. So, in short, I absolutely loved it, and it receives my highest recommendation.


--


Thanks to Ian for this review. Look for more reviews from him in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment